Water Connections with HOOD

Home > Services > Water Connections

Get your water connected for free with HOOD

While you're organising energy connections and moving services with HOOD, we'll take care of your water connection for free.
HOOD Phone Line
Find a supplier in your area
HOOD partners with real estate agencies across Australia to provide a free utilities connection service. If HOOD is trying to get in touch with you over call or text, it's because we need to grab some details to organise your connection.
REA Line
Get connected in minutes

Rest easy knowing you won't miss out on a shower after your moving day

Have a question?

Here's some frequently asked questions we've encountered before. Can't find what you're looking for? Email us at info@hood.ai

Water providers do not disconnect water between tenants, so if you’re moving into an existing property, the water will already be connected.

If you live in Victoria, you will need to ensure that the water provider is notified of the date of your move and has your correct billing details. For home or property buyers, this is usually done by your conveyancer or solicitor as part of the settlement process. If you are renting, your real estate agent or landlord will let you know if they can organise this for you. Providing your details to the water provider will help ensure that both you and the previous tenants are billed correctly.

Responsibilities in other states vary. For example, if you’re renting in NSW, the water provider does not need to be notified of your move. They will continue to bill the property owner and the owner or their agent may bill you for any charges that you are responsible for. If you are a property buyer, then your conveyancer or solicitor should notify the water provider of your move in date and contact details as part of settlement.

There are many different water providers across Australia who operate based on urban or metropolitan jurisdictional zones. Each jurisdictional zone has one provider. See below for a list of water providers by state:

New South Wales

  • Central Tablelands Water
  • Goldenfields Water
  • Gosford/Wyong Councils' Water Authority
  • Hunter Water
  • MidCoast Water
  • Murray-Darling Basin Authority
  • Riverina Water County Council
  • Rous Water
  • Sydney Water


  • Barwon Water
  • Central Highlands Water
  • City West Water
  • Coliban Water
  • East Gippsland Water
  • Goulburn Murray Water
  • Goulburn Valley Water
  • Grampians Wimmera Mallee Water
  • Lower Murray Water
  • Murray-Darling Basin Authority
  • North East Water
  • South East Water
  • South Gippsland Water
  • Southern Rural Water
  • Wannon Water
  • Western Water
  • Westernport Water
  • Yarra Valley Water


  • Murray-Darling Basin Authority
  • Queensland Urban Utilities
  • Seqwater
  • UnityWater
  • Wide Bay Water Corporation

South Australia

  • Murray-Darling Basin Authority
  • SA Water

Western Australia

  • Busselton Water
  • Western Australian Water Corporation


  • Cradle Coast Water
  • Esk Water
  • Hobart Water


The good news is that water providers do not turn supply off between tenants, so water will already be connected when you move in. If you are going to be responsible for paying the water bills, make sure you inform the water provider of your move in date and details as soon as possible so that they can take a meter reading and ensure both you and the previous occupants are billed correctly. If you live in Victoria, HOOD can take care of this process for you, while setting up your other utilities connections.

If you are building a new home or office you will need to contact the water provider and apply for connection to their pipes so you have access to water, wastewater and stormwater services. A builder or plumber normally does this on your behalf and there are usually associated charges.

The average cost for a new water main line in Australia ranges between $1500 to $3000.

Responsibilities for water charges vary depending on which state you are moving to. In Victoria, if the property has its own meter, the tenant is responsible for paying for water consumption (usually noted on the bill as water volume) and sewerage disposal charges. The landlord must pay all service charges including water supply and sewerage or drainage services. Some individual situations may differ and these are normally documented in your rental agreement.

In NSW, the landlord is responsible for paying water bills. If the premises are separately metered, and the property has water efficiency measures in place, the landlord is able to charge the tenant for water consumption. The landlord must provide you with a copy of the bill from the water provider, or other evidence, showing the cost of the water used.

Similar arrangements apply in other states such as QLD and the Northern Territory – so long as the water supply is individually metered and the tenancy agreement mentions it, tenants may be required to pay for water usage.

Some apartment blocks, towers and townhouse developments have just one main meter that measures water consumption for the whole property. The water provider may bill individual apartment owners for a percentage of the water used by the entire apartment block or tower.

If you are renting a property that does not have a separate water meter, you are not responsible for setting up an account with the water provider. However, the owner or their real estate agent may be able to on-bill you for water charges. Responsibilities vary from state to state so it’s important to carefully read the details in your rental agreement and discuss with your landlord, agent or tenant advocacy group if you’re unsure.

In some rural areas, there is no urban water supplied and the property owner will need to arrange water supply from a tank or bore with a septic system to manage wastewater. For rental properties, usually the landlord is responsible for the upkeep of tanks and associated equipment like pumps. If you are renting, roles and responsibilities for water tanks and septic tanks vary and should be documented in your rental agreement. Check with your landlord, agent or tenant advocacy group if you are unsure.

Most of the time, there is a fee to activate a water connection.

When the sale of a property occurs, the water provider will do a special meter reading in order to calculate the charges that are due at the time of settlement. They usually charge a fee for this which is payable by the new owner.

Some water providers charge a tenant meter read to the owner for each new tenant. This covers the cost of reading the meter between tenants and setting up a separate account for each tenant.

If you are moving to Victoria, HOOD can contact your water provider and set up your new account for free. We currently provide this service for many real estate agents as well as individual tenants. In addition to setting up a water connection at your new property, we can also help you engage electricity and gas providers in your area. On top of our regular services, we offer same-day services for those looking for urgent utility connections in their home.

It is your responsibility to provide safe access to the water meter so that the meter can be read. This means no locked gates or unrestrained animals. Failure to ensure this could result in your water supply being disconnected.

Water bills are generally issued quarterly (once every three months).

If you are vacating a property and you were responsible for paying the water bill, notify the water provider of the date of your move and forwarding address. They will arrange a final meter read and send a final bill to your new address.

Most urban water supply in Australia comes from rivers. The surrounding land around these rivers is called a catchment. Surface water runoff and groundwater flow via rivers and are caught in large man-made dams. The water is then treated to appropriate water quality standards and stored in reservoirs for future use. Water from these reservoirs travels via water mains to houses, schools, businesses and other users.

In some cases, your water may come from other sources such as recycled water or a desalination. Desalination is a process used to turn seawater into drinking water.

Some properties now have dual-pipe supply where one pipe supplies drinking water and the other pipe supplies recycled water which can be used for gardening, toilet flushing and other lower-grade uses.

If you live in a rural area, and do not have access to urban water supply, your water will likely come from tanks or a groundwater bore.

Catchment management authorities, water corporations and water retail providers, all work together to manage catchments, water treatment and storage facilities, pipes and other supply infrastructure.

What else does HOOD do?





Water drop






Asset 38


Don't Take It From Us...

Let's get you connected

Simply fill out this form, and we'll get in touch.



Our friendly AI chatbot will connect everything you need right now. It’s designed to save you from all those pesky emails and calls.

  • check-markConnect Electricity & Gas
  • check-markGet instant moving quotes
  • check-markBook a removalist
  • check-markBreakdown your expenses
  • check-markGet automated reminders
  • check-markDo some good with Mission Australia!

For every energy sign up through our Chatbot we will donate $50 to Mission Australia on your behalf. Consider us your personal moving assistant but completely FREE.

Check out our recent blogs

See the full catalogue at blog.hood.ai

The Ultimate Smart Meter Guide
What is a smart meter? A smart meter is utilised to record and measure your electricity usage at home and sends the information back to your... Read more »
A Guide to Choosing the Best Energy- Efficient Heaters in Australia 2022
The demand for energy- efficient appliances keeps increasing as an eco-friendly lifestyle becomes more prevalent. Energy- efficient heaters can help... Read more »
How Energy Efficiency Standards Work in Australia - Seven-Star Home
With Australian building ministers expected to increase the required residential energy efficiency from six to seven stars for new builds, you might... Read more »
Group 310
Icon awesome-facebook
Icon awesome-instagram
Icon awesome-linkedin